Monday, December 15, 2008

Hello there.

Hello, friends and family. As most of you are aware, I will be traveling to Iraq in January. In order to make communication with people easier while I'm there I'm setting up this blog so that I can post pictures or anything else interesting and everyone can read it in a central place without me having to repeat myself or leave out some detail when talking to one person and not another.

I honestly don't know too much what to expect while I'm there so I don't know how much I'll be able to update this. From what I've heard though, I will probably have my own room in a trailer and can pay $80 a month for satellite internet in my room. If that ends up being the case, then I should be able to post frequently and communicate with you all quite often I would imagine. If I'm not able to post that much, then I'll just do what I can, when I can.

I found some handy little widgets to put on the side of my blog here (sorry for the ugly ads and general poor quality of this site, but I just want something simple to post on), so that you can see what time it is in Iraq, what the weather is like, as well as an easy way to contact me. I have no idea what my schedule will be like there, other than probably being > 12 hour days, but I plan to be on Skype and available when possible to communicate with folks. Hopefully the internet will even be fast enough to do some audio/video chatting once in a while.

To contact me feel free to leave a comment, or email me.

5 comments:

  1. this is the craziest shit dude, but I'm praying for you and I think what your doing is awesome! watch out for flying shoez!!!1!

    ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we get to hear from you often. Be safe and thank you for protecting us.

    -- Rustin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright well keep us posted! I'll be praying for you over there..I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Derek! I had no idea you were going to Iraq! I hope you keep safe and I look forward to reading your blog.
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete