Saturday, January 10, 2009

Internet Back

Hooray, the internet finally came back on in the rooms. Hopefully it'll stay on for a while this time. Here are a couple of pictures.



The group from my base.



Some Iraqi palm trees and a giant fork lift.



"Cadillac Row". The restroom trailers are called cadillacs, and this is the row of the compound where most of them are.



Tents.



Inside the "hot spot", the morale tent. Has ping-pong, pool, game room, internet, movies, etc.

As you can see, everything is surrounded by huge concrete t-walls. They surround pretty much everything so it's really hard getting around at times because everything looks the same. You can't tell what a building is by its architecture or anything because they are all surrounded by the barriers. The barriers are to protect against shrapnel from rocket attacks. If one were to hit it would hopefully be contained to one building or land outside a building and not hit the building itself, only the t-walls and sandbag walls.



Some nice blisters I've been developing from my boots. Every step is a delight!



My closet.



Desk. The TV and microwave are my roommate's, so I won't always have them.



Door out and closet.



My bed with fashionable blanket.

It's not a bad room. It's clean and plenty big for one or even two people. Much better than a tent full of 10 people. The cadillacs are pretty gross, I don't understand why people are so destructive and disgusting. I'm not a super neat freak myself, but being too lazy to even raise the toilet seat when you pee is another thing entirely. Half of the toilet seats are broken off, the urinals are broken, there is always water all over the floor and toilet paper laying in the water causing a soggy mess, bleh. Good thing I bought shower shoes in Qatar.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Derek ~

    I'm a friend of your wife - I'm the 'dog food lady' in Denver. I've been following along with all of your posts and love it! The photo's are cool and it's interesting to see where you're at and I enjoy your description of things as you go.

    Thanks for serving our country and being away from Jenee' - I know she misses you something fierce. But we're all proud of you!!

    Watch those blisters :)

    Evy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy reading it, thanks for letting me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I check it every day!

    I really miss your wife and seeing her - but I'm sure that you have the corner on that market :) She is so wonderful and I know she misses you so much. I was blessed for the time she was in Denver.

    Keep up the good work and the postings - I'm praying for you!

    Evy

    ReplyDelete